Some site features are currently under construction.
Let me know in the forums about any issues you may encounter.
Thoughts, note-worthy, announcements and news of sorts.
Thoughts, note-worthy, announcements and news of sorts.

Port-forwarding for BF3 - WTF?

PostAuthor: nGAGE™ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:43 am

nGAGE™ wrote:
My Thoughts/Rant...

What the hey?!

Port-ranges from 20000 thru 29999 for PC or 10000 thru 19999 for PS3, not to mention the rest of the them...

What in gods name do we need 10100+ open ports for? You might just as well ask everybody to DMZ and by-pass what I consider our "first line of defense" against unwanted visitors into our home-network, basically. Perhaps we should uninstall firewalls as well, DICE? The PC version doesn't even have any kind of in-game server-browser anymore either. Forcing web-browser extensions upon us, providing new and exciting opportunity for hackers to investigate and exploit isn't enough?

Anyways,... Back to port-forwarding:

I'm just guessing here, but I doubt there's many users here and on other sites that play only this or any one game. Gamers tend to play at least a few titles I'd say. Many other games require port-forwarding as well and every game-developer seems to think that they need to use different ports, when really, we can only play one game at a time (not counting multiple platform/devices). It can obviously be done with minimal number of ports and/or triggers, which for the most part works with every game on the Xbox. Why not agree upon a universal range for gaming, specific to the platform/device. It's not like running multiple instant-messaging apps at the same time where I could imagine conflicts if they'd use the same ports. Gamers tend to only run a single (full-screen) game at a time, per platform/device.

I can fully understand that certain software/apps need to use their own ports in order to not run into conflicting data-packets being sent to the wrong app, but forcing upon the novice user this overload of confusing information is just asking for trouble, if you ask me. And although I have a fair grasp of ports/port-forwarding and related matters, the fact remains that a large majority of people doesn't know what they are or do. And for the most part; they shouldn't need to if things would be kept simple and universal.

Aside from the fact that many people are forced into (blindly) opening ports just to get their product to work, just because it says so on a forum/website, I'm convinced that even if everybody would know what port-forwarding does, a lot of people will quickly run into some technical issues if every developer just plays 'bingo' with the port-numbers they wanna use.

I for one, and I'm guessing again; many others, have basic-to-moderate home-use routers that often only have limited number of entries available for custom port-forwarding. Some people don't even have that luxury and can only enable DMZ for forwarding everything. So, in the end; users that don't fully understand how to effectively create ranges and combo entries will quickly find themselves unable to open ports. Which honestly sucks!

This is ridiculous and totally unnecessary! Nobody makes a profit of port-ranges and there's no reason why features that aren't service specific shouldn't be able to share the same universal port-range, so long there's no need for multiple application instances.

God I find this type of stuff frustrating and completely pointless!

Everyone could benefit. Just: Simplify,... please!

_nGAGE™

[PC]
TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 20000-29999, 22990, 17502, 42127
UDP: 3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300

[PS3]
TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 10000-19999, 17502, 42127
UDP: 3659, 14000-14016

[Xbox360]
TCP: 53, 88, 3074
UDP: 53, 88, 3074

Original post: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654773849669037/

Return to nGAGE™

Forum Permissions